Saturday, June 23, 2012

New earphones


I got the Klipsch reference S4i earphones from Singapore's IT fair. So far, I have no complaints, cos the sound from these earphones is really crisp and rather accurate. I don't know how to praise it in the correct earphone jargon, but its great and definitely worth the bucks. Comes with a two-year warranty :)


On first sight, the pair of earphones did not appeal to me at all. I am used to earphones which are either all black or all white, and this black/copper combi seemed a bit nauseating. The wire of the earphones feel thin and plasticky too. But my scorn quickly disapeared, as I realised that the thud-thud noise whenever the wires of such in-ear headphones bounce of your chest is much lesser than other headphnes, and it's plastic rigidity makes it more tangle-free. The wires are actually made of the same material as home theater cables, and it reeks of durability and practicality. 
After I found out that these earphones are actually modelled after the Klipsch Reference home theater system, with its black and gold colour scheme, my impression of the earphones changed immediately from "cheap-looking" to "classy".

I used to have another pair of sound-cancelling earphones from Sony, and that really sucked- pain in the ears and poor sound quality. This pair of Klipsch has oval-shaped earbuds (patented) and it is supposed to fit more comfortably in the ears. The default size suits my ears better, imo. I don't know if its me or the earphones, but when I tried on the earphones with the other earbud sizes, sound quality differs. It deteriorated, to be exact. So I stuck with the default, medium size.

I brought the earphones along to Vietnam, and watched Pirates of the Caribbean with the Reference s4i in my ears. Noise cancellation is superb, and it was quite comfortable. The sounds were great too: ranges in dynamic and pitch can be heard clearly amid the bustle of the LCCT. However, I needed quite a lot of breaks in between the movies, as I'm still not to the in-ear headphones being in my ears for too long.

The bass was not too boomy, like the Jays a-jay four which I tested during IT fair. Uuh Mahler on the a-jay four sounded disgusting with the bass overpowering everything else. I didn't regret buying this pair of earphones, considering the sound quality was good, and it wasn't exceptionally expensive.

------

By the way, I just jailbroke my iPhone about a week ago, and I am still learning a lot about jailbreaking. First thing I did was to remove the slider and the clock from the lock-screen, and the larger picture area of the lock screen was fantastic.


I also installed the VLC player, along with the SSH stuff so I can use my phone to watch movies of almost all formats, especialy .avi which the iPhone does not support. I just installed installous today, and hehe I downloaded Sparrow and Asphalt 7. Still downloading, in fact. :)

No comments: